Monday, October 8, 2007

God Knows our Needs!!

Just last night I was teaching our teen girls about how we can approach the "throne of grace with confidence" (Hebrews 14:15-16), because we have a God who can identify with our every need, temptation, desire etc. Today, God sent a tangible reminder of that!

I was sitting at work, actually talking to my dad on the phone when a lady walked in and stood by the window to be waited on. I put my dad on hold and welcomed her in, asking how we could help her. She said she needed to see Debbie, our director, who just happened to be sitting in the room. I introduced her and walked into Debbie's office to finish my phone conversation with my dad. As I was walking to pick up the phone, I heard the lady introduce herself, and then she said, "My husband and I are trying to start an adoption ministry..." I stopped in my tracks, forgetting about my dad being on the line, and walked back into the office. I said, "I think I need to be a part of this conversation", and sat back down!

Some of you may not know that Zack and I have been trying to start an adoption ministry at our church...we felt God leading us to not only adopt a child, but to minister to those who were thinking about it, and just make the need and miracle of adoption known. Unfortunately we have had some resistance in the process of starting this ministry.... It has kind of been on hold. What is so amazing is that this lady and her husband felt God leading them to establish some type of adoption ministry, and they also attend a church here in London! They had scheduled an adoption fair type event to be held in their church fellowship hall for November 10th, but a conflict came up with another church event, and they were no longer able to use the church facility, which was why she was here at the community center, to see if we had that date available- we didn't. Because I explained our situation to her, she knew that Zack was the minster of youth at our church. I told her that it might be possible for her to have the event at our church, as many different organizations, etc. hold events in our fellowship hall. I called the church, and it was available!! She was thrilled, and we volunteered to help out with the fair, which I am so excited about! The most amazing thing (in my opinion) about the whole ordeal was that God is going to be glorified through this! We are going to be able to share the wonderful miracle of adoption with ohters!!Despite opposition from man, or other circumstances, God will have his way! It was just so affirming of our call to make adoption and God's love for all people known to others! Praise the Lord!

I won't go into all the details of our amazing conversation, but this wonderful lady and her husband have three adopted children, all adopted from here in Kentucky. She told us the amazing stories of their adoption, and it touched my heart. Their youngest child is African-American, and is not a year old yet, which is just awesome, as one day our children can be playmates! This is such an answer to prayer, because there is not an abundance of black children with white parents here in London, Kentucky, and this was something that Zack and I have been praying about, and praying for our child about. We know that most people will be accepting of our family, but we also know it will be important for our child to have someone to play with every now and then that looks like him/her, and that has a mommy and daddy that look like us! Praise God, now our child will have this!!

We are having dinner with fine couple tomorrow night, so just pray for our conversation and that God will be glorified!

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
Hebrews 4:15-16

4 comments:

Rob and Candy said...

Hi- I have tears in my eyes! I love that our God has a plan. He has opened the door to your church for an adoption expo in the building. Who knows what will be next. November is National Adoption Month. What a wonderful time to have the adoption fair.
Candy (awaa YG)

Anna said...

I am so glad to hear about this! What an answer to the prayer that has been on your heart! I will keep praying with you for doors to open in miraculous ways.
With love,
Anna
(awaa YG)

tisha said...

Praise the Lord! What a blessing to see God answer your prayers! He is so good!!!

Tisha (awaa yg)
freewebs.com/shawnandtishasadoption

Carpenters said...

Isn't it amazing how God works in our lives? What an amazing story! Hopefully, your dad didn't have to wait too long on hold. :) Please keep us updates on how the adoption fair goes. Praise God for His answer to your prayers!