Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Some Thoughts about being Thankful....

This past Sunday we had a community wide Thanksgiving service at our church. The speaker was a missionary to Chile, and has been for over twenty years. She spoke about how thankfulness was really an attitude- you can either choose to have a grateful attitude, and realize how much God has blessed you, or you can choose to have a negative and selfish attitude, and think about "how bad you have it".

This message really hit home for me, as over the last several weeks, at times, I have had a negative attitude towards the slow pace of the adoption, and some of the hold-ups- I have thought, why does this process have to be so long and complicated (and expensive :) . Thankfully, God has sent me reminders (like I should really need them :)in my life, and allowed me to remember all the blessings he has showered on my life, so that bad attitude never lasts too long....

Thankfulness is an attitude- Our speaker reminded us of all the heroes of the faith who chose to have a thankful heart, despite their circumstances (and their circumstances were pretty rough): Paul, David, Moses, etc.....pretty amazing, isn't it!

So, this Thanksgiving, I am trying to approach thankfulness with a new outlook, and a new attitude!

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ"

1 Thes. 5:16-18

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

2 comments:

tisha said...

Thanks for sharing this. It is so true that we have to choose to be thankful. It's so easy for me sometimes to start to feel sorry for myself and focus on the negative, but God has given me everything! How can I forget that??? Praying for your home study license to come soon!
Tisha (awaa yg)

Carpenters said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Thank you for sharing the quote and your heart. While waiting for a court date, I have gone through the same up and downs and God has to remind me that He is in control. I pray that through out the process, God would work in us to have a thankful heart. Thank you so much for the encouragement.

With love,
Penelope